Scottish Ice Hockey is looking for someone with the right background and skills to step into a vacancy for a Company Secretary.
The successful candidate will form part of a dynamic management team and be involved with people across all aspects of the organisation, not least our membership.
Knowledge of ice hockey is not important, but a clear understanding of governance and the systems and processes required to maintain this critical area of our organisation on a proper footing is essential.
If you have not previously undertaken a Company Secretary role, your background will be such that it will have given you a thorough grounding in the types of challenges you will face, and you will be well equipped to make that transition.
Equally important are the personal skills and qualities you will bring to the role – not least first-class organisational and communication skills, attention to detail, team working and the ability to liaise with people at all levels.
SIH is responsible for ice hockey in Scotland and is currently going through the recognition process with sportscotland.
We operate voluntarily and pride ourselves on doing things for the benefit of our members. However, like any other organisation, we have certain legal, financial and statutory duties we must comply with.
SIH is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
We are committed to ensuring that all candidates for all roles are treated fairly and that selection is based solely on the individual merits of candidates and on selection criteria relevant to the post.
Job Title: Company Secretary.
Location: Home Based.
Responsible to: SIH (Ice Hockey) Limited Board.
Salary: Voluntary, but all reasonable expenses will be met.
To ensure that the organisation complies with standard financial and legal practice and maintains high standards of corporate governance.
- Preparing agendas, papers and subsequent minutes for board and organisation meetings, including the annual general meeting (AGM) and general meeting (GM).
- Progress chasing action points arising from board/organisation meetings.
- Arranging the venue, date and time for the AGM/GM, ensuring members receive due notice and all necessary documentation.
- Facilitating the submission of member and board resolutions to the AGM/GM.
- Developing and overseeing the systems to ensure the company complies with all legal and statutory requirements and compliance with grant agreements.
- Maintaining organisation and company records, including organisation files for legal documents such as constitutions, leases and policies and procedures.
- Maintaining the register of members, ensuring compliance with data protection legislation.
- Ensuring organisation accounts are distributed to the organisation members.
- Undertaking primary responsibility for the organisation’s health and safety and HR functions.
- Ensuring that organisation policies, as determined by the membership and board, are adhered to at all times.
- Providing additional support to the organisation’s administrative function and cover for as required.
Previous experience as a Company Secretary or relevant experience in at least one of the following areas: legal, financial, insurance, office management, pensions, HR, purchasing.
- Verbal and written communication skills.
- Teamworking and interpersonal skills, the ability to work well with people at all levels.
- Attention to detail and a well-organised approach to work.
- Ability to prioritise work and to work well under pressure.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Integrity and discretion when handling confidential information.
Sound grasp of corporate governance issues.
Knowledge of and commitment to SIH (Ice Hockey)’s aim to be a leading example of a democratic, member-owned ice hockey organisation that delivers lasting benefit to its communities.
Interested candidates should send:
- A copy of their current CV.
- A covering letter specifically outlining how they meet the person specification and their ability to deliver the job description outlined above, citing specific, relevant examples.
- Contact details of two referees, wherever possible one of these should be your most recent employer (NB: References will only be taken following selection of the successful candidate).
Applications should be sent:
By post to: Nominations Committee, SIH (Ice Hockey), 5 Dean Park Street, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH4 1JN (Please mark envelope: In Confidence)
By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for applications is Friday, 17th September 2021 (5.00 pm).
All applications will be acknowledged on receipt. Where necessary, a sift will be undertaken to shortlist candidates for interview.
All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application.
If you would like to discuss this opportunity further, please contact David Hand, Chair. Email: email@example.com.
(Image permission: Sora Shimazaki)