Scottish Ice Hockey is delighted to confirm the line-up for its annual coaching seminar at Dundee Ice Arena on 27/28th July.
Renowned coaching guru, Darryl Easson, is the main speaker, while respected goalkeeping coach, Matt Darlow, is also part of an impressive line-up.
Canadian-born Easson played for Nottingham Panthers during the 1980s, before working as a coach at the Midlands-based club.
He gained further coaching experience in Sheffield, Telford and as part of the England programme, in addition to a spell with the ZSC Lions women’s team in Switzerland.
Easson joined the Great Britain set-up during the 1990s, leading the Under-18 team to a gold medal at the 1997 World Championships.
He developed the GB and England coaching programme during his time with Ice Hockey UK, before joining the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) as Sport Development Manager.
During his time with IIHF he rewrote the organisation’s coaching and ‘Learn to Play’ programmes and developed its ‘Hockey is for Me’ recruitment programme.
He joined the Hungarian Ice Hockey Federation in November 2013 as Coach Mentor and has reshaped their coaching education and mentor programmes.
The 59-year-old has also worked on the ‘Hockey Together’ programme with the Korean Ice Hockey Federation. He says he is looking forward to sharing his expertise with coaches in the UK.
“It’s a higher honour to coach someone to be the best than for you to work to be the best,” he said.
“Investment in coach education and development pays far bigger dividends in the development of your hockey programme than working with individual players.
“This is because of the large scale influence a coach has on the 10, 20 or 30 players they work with.
“During the seminar we’ll cover a number of areas including awareness of ice hockey, recruitment and how to capitalise on GB’s recent success to help grow the game.
“We’ll also look at improving team play through a national philosophy, developing hockey sense and competitiveness and work on defensive and offensive strategies.
“I’m delighted to have the opportunity to work with SIH and looking forward to meeting everyone at the coaching seminar.”
The event takes place at Dundee Ice Arena on the weekend of 27/28th July (cost £85 per person). There are a few places remaining and these can be reserved by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
The full line-up is as follows:
- Darryl Easson – Has coached all over the world for the IIHF and currently works for the Hungarian federation.
- Matt Darlow – Owner of Goaltender Guru. Works extensively with the best of British and clubs across the country coaching goalies.
- Jamie McBrearty – Growth Mindset specialist. Delivers sessions and workshops to businesses, local authorities and sports governing bodies across Scotland.
- Stuart Edwards – Physical and mental preparation expert in the RAF. Part of the GB U20s staff at the 2019 World Championships.
- Charles Dacres – Child Protection officer for IHUK. Will deliver the latest CPO information to coaches.
- Colin Davidson – Will deliver a session on behalf of the referee’s section on rule changes for the coming season.